We've been on a mission to make our Saturday mornings healthier and tastier. No more leftover pizza from a lazy Friday night in, no more skipping breakfast altogether because we have nothing in the fridge, no more dashing to Sainsburys for last-minute custard crowns. Those days are gone. So what's this all-in-one grilled toast all about?
What you need
large eggs -4 multi-seeded bread - 4 slices dried oregano - 1/2 tsp grated cheddar - 2 cups sausages - 4 vegetable oil - 2 tsp salt and pepper to taste
What you do
- Grill the sausages
- While the sausages are cooking, beat your eggs
- Add the oregano, salt, and pepper
- Whisk it all together with a fork
- When the sausages are ready, pull them out and slice
- Pour 1 tsp of oil onto a flat bottomed pan, spread it out, and heat on medium
- Dip a slice of bread into the egg mixture and place on the pan
- Arrange 6 slices of sausage on the bread
- Add a handful of grated cheese on top
- Grind some pepper on top
- Allow the egg toast to cook for a couple of minutes
- Check the underside is done
- Use a large spatula to lift the toast off the pan, and place on a baking tray
- Do the same with the other slices of bread. My pan only fit one slice at a time and my baking tray only fit 2 slices, so I grilled these in two batches
- Place under a grill at 250 degrees, until the cheese has melted and turned golden brown
- Eat hot!
Tip 1: We used leftover grilled sausages for this, so saved a lot of time
Tip 2: I also made a vegetarian version, replacing the sausage with a handful of fresh chopped chives. This was very good, maybe even better than the meaty version!
Tip 3: Add a dash of mustard to the egg mixture for some zing
Tip 4: Pour a little extra egg mixture on the toast once you've put the cheese on, it grills beautifully