The fact of the matter is I'm hungry all the time. And there's only so many snacks you can stock your little London flat with. So I've decided to stop buying, and start making instead! Believe it or not, this actually works to my advantage for two reasons: 1) If I have the will power to get off the couch on the weekend and make a snack from scratch, I deserve the snack surely :)
2) Creative energy being put to good use, and if the experiment is successful, a blog post idea
So on a lovely sunny Saturday I decided to tweak a classic American popover recipe, and was very pleased with the result. So here you go!
Makes 12 popovers, in a standard muffin tray or 24 in a shallower bun tray (I used a bun tray).
What you need
Milk - 1 cup Egg - 2 large Plain flour- 1 cup Medium cheddar - grated, 3/4-1 cup Oregano (dried) - 2 tsp Butter - 2 tbsp, melted Pepper - pinch Salt - to taste Muffin tray/bun tray
What you do
- Whisk the flour, egg, milk and butter together. You should have the consistency of pancake batter. Add a little extra milk/flour if needed
- Stir in the pepper, salt, herbs, and grated cheese
- Spoon into a muffin/bun tray, filling each cup half-way
- Bake at 180 degrees celcius in a fan-assisted oven for about 20 minutes, or until brown
- Munch hot, with a little butter on top if you're feeling indulgent!
I've just had a thought - 2 cloves of grated garlic and a pinch of paprika too. Mmmm