Who doesn't love chicken tikka right? And there are so many different marinades to try out! Though nothing tastes as good as chicken tikka made in a tandoor (a traditional clay oven commonly used in India), a garden BBQ grill comes close, and an electric home oven isn't too bad. Since this is a quick (if you exclude the marination time) and easy (but delicious) chicken tikka recipe, we'll use our kitchen oven.
Prep Time: 4 hr
Cook Time: 50 min
Total Time: 4 hr 50 min
- Boneless chicken breast/thigh meat - 500g
- Yogurt - 1/2 cup
- Ginger - 5 inches
- Garlic - 12 cloves
- Green chilli - 1
- Turmeric - 1 tsp
- Kasoori methi (dried fenugreek leaves) - 1 tbsp
- Black pepper - 1 tsp
- Olive oil
- Bamboo skewers
- Dice the chicken into chunky pieces
- Prick the chicken with a fork
- Blend the ginger, garlic and chilli together in a grinder
- Spoon the yogurt into a mixing bowl
- Add the ginger-garlic-chilli
- Sprinkle turmeric powder
- Grind a tsp of black pepper
- Add salt to taste
- Mix thoroughly with a spoon
- Add the kasoori methi and mix again
- Now add the chicken pieces and coat evenly with the marinade
- Cover and place in the fridge. Ideally overnight, but 3-4 hours will do too. For 30 mins at least, if you really don't have the time!
- Pre-heat your oven at 180 degrees celcius for 10 mins
- While your oven is heating up, soak your skewers in water for about 2 mins
- Then skewer your chicken pieces
- Arrange them on a roasting tin, resting them on the edge, so they can drip into the tin
- Drizzle olive oil on them and place in the oven for 30-40 mins, until the chicken is cooked through, browning, and charring around the corners. Turn the skewers around and drizzle a little more oil half-way through them baking
- Serve on the skewers or push them off. Taste great with some minty yogurt or coriander dip on the side!
- Add some green peppers and red onions cut into chunky pieces to your marinade too and skewer those along with the chicken, for more flavour!